Thursday, September 21, 2006

Website hosting and mail clients

I use doteasy for two websites. http://dovelyquilts.com & http://milwaukeemennonite.org

At some point, I'd like to switch to another ISP. I get frustrated at how unreliable doteasy is--not a month goes by where I don't personally notice dovelyquilts.com is temporarily inaccessible. I haven't used a pop client with doteasy's mail. I do, however, have email forwarded from one of the sites to my gmail account.

Currently Sarah just uses doteasy's web mail interface, which, yes, has no spam filtering. She doesn't bring her computer home from the store (which has no good internet access--just one phone line), but at some point I'm going to get her a computer to use & leave at home, at which point, depending on the OS I put on it, would determine the mail client I have her use for use with doteasy--probably Thunderbird if the OS were Linux or Windoz.

I use Thunderbird for personal email (gmail POP which actually works just as well as IMAP, and some personal IMAP accounts), and have been using it for about 2-3 years. It has a decent spam filter learning algorithm included (catches about 75-85%). I also like Thunderbird for the nicely integrated enigmail add-on which allows me to easily de/encrypt and sign/verify email using PGP. And I use Thunderbird for reading blogs RSS/Atom feeds certain family members & friends have. For feeds from news sites & such, I use Google Reader.

As a side note, what I hope transpires over the next year is Google calender synchronization support with the Mozilla calendar add-on for Thunderbird so I can view & edit my Google calendar in my personal email and be able to send calendar entry invites via email. I'm not as hopeful on Thunderbird - Palm synchronization, though. For that I use airset.com to sync my Google calendar to Palmdesktop.

No comments: